- Magic Mushrooms
- Sacred Mushrooms
- Happy Mushrooms
- Psychedelic Mushrooms
Psilocybin is a substance either synthetically produced or extracted from certain mushroom species which is chemically related to LSD. It is often taken orally from the mushroom (dried or fresh) or as a powder in capsules or added to tea. Doses are often hard to control due to varying conditions of individual mushrooms.
Historically, psilocybin has been used in religious rituals for thousands of years. Recreational users however, are more interested in their hallucinogen effects which tend to be milder than other hallucinogens such as LSD.
Effects of Psilocybin usually begin within a half hour and can continue for 4 or 5 hours. It is very hard to determine the exact kind of mushroom you have and how much active drug it contains. There are many mushrooms that look similar and also produce hallucinogenic effects but may actually be toxic. Signs of toxicity include stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea and may lead to death.
Possible Effects of Psilocybin Include:
Warning Signs of Potential Overdose
- Decreased Temperature Slowed Sense of Time
- Rapid Heart Beat Perceptual Distortions
- Impaired Judgment Mood Swings
Dangers of Psilocybin Use
- Lightheadedness or dizziness Nausea
- Numbness of the tongue, lips or mouth Anxiety or paranoia
- Shivering or sweating
Other than the dangers of mistakenly picking toxic mushrooms, the biggest danger from psilocybin may be the potential for a “bad trip”. Bad trips can occur at any dose or at any time. Symptoms can be very terrifying to the user, causing anxiety, panic, confusion, or intense fear. Residual effects from a bad trip can remain with the user long-term and can exacerbate or trigger mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, mania or depression.
As with other Hallucinogens, psilocybin is not usually considered addictive. Tolerance builds rapidly usually deterring regular use, however they are still considered a potential for abuse especially with users who use multiple substances.