420: Slang Term for Marijuana Use
- Mary Jane
- And MANY More!
THC can be detected weeks after last use!
Marijuana is a green or brownish mixture of dried shredded leaves, stems, seeds and flowers of the hemp plant- cannabis sativa. Marijuana can have stimulant, depressant, and hallucinogenic effects. The active ingredient in Marijuana is THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) however, it may contain over 400 other chemicals that can be very damaging to the body.
Marijuana is usually smoked like a cigarette called a joint or in a pipe (bong). It can also be smoked as a ‘blunt’ which is a thin cigar emptied of tobacco and refilled with marijuana and may contain other drugs such as crack or PCP. In addition to smoking, marijuana can also be consumed orally by mixing into food or tea.
The effects of marijuana can be very unpredictable and can vary depending on the method of ingestion. When smoked, effects start almost immediately and last from 1 to 3 hours. When consumed orally in tea or food, effects begin in approximately 1/2 to 1 hour and can last as long as 4 hours.
Marijuana is the most commonly abused drug!
Effects of marijuana use may include:
Long-Term Effects of Marijuana Use May Include:
- Giddiness (laughing at anything, funny or not)
- Hunger (the munchies)
- Increased Heart Rate
- Impaired Memory
- Impaired Balance, Loss of Coordination
- Difficulty learning and problem solving
- Distorted Perception
- Hands may tremor or feel cold
- Dry Mouth
- Anxiety or panic attacks
- Increased Tolerance (leading to increasing use to achieve same effects)
- Permanent damage to thinking and reasoning ability
- Damage to Reproductive System
- Chronic Bronchitis, Pneumonia, and other Respiratory Problems Miscarriage or Harm to Fetus in Pregnant Women
- Increased Risk of Cancer (lung, oral, head & neck)
- Weakened Immune System
- Amotivational Syndrome (a loss of interest in the future or activities that used to be important & unmotivated. This can last for up to 2 years after discontinuation of the drug.)
What’s the Big Deal? It’s Only Pot!
Marijuana is glamorized in popular culture and many people do not think it can be harmful. Few young people think there is anything wrong with using marijuana. There are many misconceptions about Marijuana, not only from teenagers but from adults as well.
- The THC content in marijuana is much stronger than it was in the past.
- Mixing other drugs into a blunt such as crack or PCP can increase the danger.
- Other drugs such as PCP, crack or even LSD may be added in marijuana (blunt or not) without the users knowledge.
- Marijuana smoke contains 3-5 times as much of the cancer-causing toxins as tobacco’s smoke.
- Driving while using marijuana is just as dangerous as driving while drinking alcohol.
- Some effects can last up to 24 hours, even after the noticeable effects have worn off, increasing risk for accidents and other dangers.
- Availability is Increasing.
- Some people may experience severe anxiety, paranoia or panic while using marijuana. This can occur at any time, even if previous use was normal and effects can last long after the drug is out of the system.
Marijuana IS a drug and it can be very harmful!